Nicole Masters, Director, Author and Researcher
- Graduated in 1999 with a BSc in Ecology, with a focus on soil science and plant physiology.
- Received qualifications in Adult Education and postgraduate studies in Ag extension and organisational learning.
- Author of “For the Love of Soil: Strategies to Regenerate Our Food Production Systems.”
- Was a finalist in the Rural Business Woman of the Year awards New Zealand’s 2012. Has a U.S. work visa for “An Alien of Extraordinary Ability”!
- Is an avid horsewoman, musterer, diver and explorer; splitting her time between North America, Australia and New Zealand.
Q&A WITH Nicole:
What inspires you?
I’m inspired in how to bring measurement and scientific understandings together and balance them with intuitive, anecdotal and practical real-world experiences.
I love being around ‘whole-hearted’ people; people who are authentic and courageous. People who see a need to connect more deeply with themselves and with landscapes aren’t afraid to ask those crucial ‘why’ questions.
So, why working with soils?
Well, firstly, EVERYTHING comes back to soil, and secondly connecting people to soil is like opening a door of possibilities that can never be closed again.
People never cease to amaze me with the results they get and the impact that it has on their lives. When people obtain the tools and the knowledge and take action around building soil health, there are benefits for the health of people, planet, profit and their purpose. It just gets me so excited, that we’re really working on the next frontier of discovery, and that we’re barely scratching the surface of what is possible.
Who are my heroes?
My heroes are my family, my Dad and Nana Blanche, who gave me the grounding in ecological thinking. My Mum who inspires me with her courage and gypsy heart. My son Bryn who understands the journey I am on, and why he and all future generations of people are the reason we must all take a stand for soil, water, and ecosystem and human health. I’m inspired by so many powerful women I see influencing change on a global scale; who see that love, collaboration, ‘inter-connectedness’ and care is just what the world needs now!
For an in-depth resume on Nicole Masters, please click here